FAMILY HOUSING CAMPAIGN
Boston Children's Hospital is known to offer options for children with congenital heart disease not available elsewhere. Families travel from all over the country for this world-class cardiac care. The Ethan M. Lindberg Foundation is keenly aware that affordable and accessible housing is a significant challenge for these families, many of whom have the most critically ill children.
After significant research and personal experience, the foundation has determined the most expeditious and economical way to answer this need is to rent and furnish apartments. Since November 2015 the foundation has housed 13 families with frequent and long-term hospital stays from all across the country. Scroll down to see pictures of our first apartment.
In Q2 2017 the foundation leased a second one-bedroom unit in the same building as the first. This unit will be ready for families in early May. Currently, the foundation is housing two long-term families. One in the first leased apartment and one in a corporate apartment.
We are looking for 20 partners who will make a 2-year commitment to each give or raise $5,000 per year. The total cost per apartment is approximately $58,000 per year.
- Leasing one apartment for one year collectively saves families over $70,000/year.
- Hotels within walking proximity to the hospital are between $250 and $350/night with parking.
- In Boston, The Ronald McDonald House is only available to cancer patients and families.
- The hospital has some housing available to traveling families, but it is regularly full, leaving many families with no affordable options.
- Our average family stay in 2016 was 30 nights.
- After long days in the hospital with limited privacy, having a clean, quiet place to rest is healing for the entire family. The apartments allow families to stay close during some of the most stressful times in their lives.
- Each unit costs the foundation $160.00 per day. This cost includes rent, insurance, cleaning service, supplies, parking, and management.
- The foundation charges families $50.00/day to lease the apartment and an additional $10.00/day for parking. If a family cannot pay, the foundation will help them create a fundraising page to help cover their costs. If the fundraising is not successful, the foundation will consider an additional family grant to help off-set costs.
- The foundation purchases all furniture and necessities for the unit. It’s fully outfitted for families. All they need to do is bring their clothes and personal items. The units have an in-unit washer and dryer.
- The foundation has a protocol approved by the Board of Directors. This protocol focuses on housing families with frequent and long-term hospital stays.
- Apartment address: 9 Miner Street Boston, MA 02215
- This excellent location is within walking distance of the hospital, restaurants, grocery store and all amenities needed by families.
BECOME A PARTNER
- We are looking for 20 individuals or families to make a 2-year commitment to give or raise $5,000 per year. Total commitment is $10,000.
- Each partner will be listed on the Ethan M. Lindberg Foundation web page as a family housing partner.
- Each partner will also be listed on a framed document that will hang in the apartments. Families will know these units are the collective gift of all our partners.
- To become a housing partner, fill out the form below and donate on-line by clicking on the button below the form OR donate by check. Checks can be mailed to:
- Ethan Lindberg Foundation Inc. 12254 Bellingham Road Caledonia IL 61011
- If you’d prefer to raise the money, create your own fundraising page here.
- We’d like commitments and payments by October 1.
Please send any questions about this campaign to us via the form below. Thank you for partnering with us to support heart families.